Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Found Art

Hi friends,

Today's challenge was to collect pieces of trash or items people are throwing out and create a piece of art with them.  This was a really neat activity.  I actually got to do this with my teen accountability group yesterday on Labor Day.  We had lunch and then went driving around for trash that we could turn into treasure.

First, we stopped by the Salvation Army to see if we could search through their dumpsters, but that didn't work out.  So we were driving down the road and found a big PVC pipe along side of the road...we loaded it up in the car.  Then we went to a park near the church and found a pretty clean dumpster with a lot of good trash.  As we were driving away from the park we spotted some old wood and misc stuff somebody had put on their curb for trash.  Finally, we stopped by our church to see if there was any old stuff behind the garage that was trash.  All in all we found some good materials to work with.

It was a lot of fun searching the neighborhood for free materials to work with and then thinking about what we could make out of those materials.  It was a fun bonding experience.  First we thought about making a robot...then a space ship...we ended up making this:

It kind of looks like a giant award you would give somebody for a job well done.  Leave a comment and let me know what you think it is?   

Our time together got me thinking about this verse though...Philippians 3:8, "...I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things.  I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ..."  My former life before Christ was like the trash we were picking up and then Jesus Christ came a long taking my trash and giving me the treasure of forgiveness, wholeness and a relationship with God.  

I'm not sure if you would call the thing we created out of trash...treasure or art, but God is able to take our lives filled with all kinds of trash and make beautiful treasure and art...if we give our lives to Him.  I hope you you have a relationship with Jesus Christ.  If not you can.  Please talk to a Christian you know and they will help you.  

Till Tommorrow...Tom

1 comment:

  1. Hey Tom,

    I am the operations coordinator and content editor for Barefoot Ministries. As such, I'm one of the principal people involved in the redesign of the new Credo. We love that you are taking "the Credo Challenge" and I'd love to talk to you more about it. Would you please email me at acmarvin@barefootministries.com so I can discuss this more in depth with you? Thanks a bunch, and thanks for supporting Barefoot!

    -audra-

    ReplyDelete