Monday, September 20, 2010

Recyclable

Hi friends,

Today's challenge was to not throw anything in the garbage today.  When I was looking at this challenge a few days ago, I didn't realize just how hard this is to do.  This morning I got a coffee and a bagel.  The coffee came in a paper cup and the bagel came with napkins and a paper bags.  I saved them in my car and plan to put them in my blue recycle bin tomorrow before I leave for the day.  Then at lunch I ate at Chipotle and it came in a paper bag and a paper bowl.  Before I could realize it...I gave my bowl to one of my friends to put in the trash.  Then I came home and started cleaning the house and realized I'd put some things in the trash that may have been recyclable. 

So I guess I failed in not throwing anything away today.  But I do consider the challenge a success for several reasons.  First, I became aware of just how much stuff I through away in the trash everyday.  Second, I did recycle some things today in our blue recycle bin at the house.  Third, I started looking for the recyclable sign on stuff I was going to through away.  If it has the sign, I can put it in the blue bin for the city to take and recycle. 

I'm hoping today will help me be a better steward of the trash that goes out of my house.  Why wouldn't I try to recycle paper and other disposables to save energy, trees and other things I enjoy in the world?  God calls me to be a good steward and caretaker of everything he has blessed me with.  The Credo challenge helped me realize this in a small way today.

What has God blessed you with that you could be a better steward with?

Till Tomorrow...Tom

1 comment:

  1. Just remember, if it's glass, the city of Olathe won't take it. But, there are dropoff places where you can take the glass. I think one of them is at Walmart.

    ReplyDelete